Take last week for example.
An acreage for sale appeared out of nowhere that ticked EVERY box except distance to town.
The big question was whether or not with everything else being spot on, would the other checkboxes overcome a 30-minute drive to town.
And more than 30 minutes when the gravel roads were badly rutted, covered in deep snow or flooded over with spring runoff.
The house looked oh so shiny and outside was oh so quiet.
Pretty much oh so tempting.
Definitely worth a second look to check out the finer details.
Mixed flooring types along with carpeted bedrooms.
(Cats and carpets do. not. go well together.)
A well with an EXTREMELY low flow rate.
So low for that area, everyone thought it was a typo.
Nope. Not a typo.
To offer, or not to offer – that is the question.
The indecision was not lost on me.
I watched us start falling into the same trap as our last acreage offer debacle.
Take a step and re-evaluate from the new vantage point.
An approach I often recommend for dealing with not being clear.
(And avoid making a firm decision.)
Only I wasn’t paying attention to the clarity already there.
I didn’t want to re-arrange my schedule to deal with inspections and make phone calls.
Missing highly anticipated pre-scheduled appointments was not an option.
Inner Voice bemoaned leaving new triple-pane windows for sticky contractor grade double-panes.
Good-bye roomy bottom drawer freezer for the teensy side-by-side fridge.
Let’s not even talk about the flow rate on the well.
Adding a cistern isn’t a small ticket item.
Nope – didn’t pay attention to any of that.
So we hummed and hawed, and tossed and turned with indecision.
Until the realtor called early in the morning.
Offer now or lose out.
And oh, by the way, there’ll be a competing offer. Maybe two.
The property wasn’t worth competing to pay premium dollar for it.
Felt good. Free. Right.
Until the realtor called back. Five minutes later.
The other party dropped out too.
Didn’t want to compete.
We could have until the end of the day to offer without competition.
Didn’t need this.
Had more important-to-me things to deal with.
Again, didn’t listen.
Saying no five minutes ago felt really good.
Instead, spending the next 8 hours agonizing in re-decision seemed a better way to spend the day.
As time wore on though, listening to what we’d said become easier to hear.
Even though there was a lot right with the acreage, the right decision was to say no.
On the bright side, from first look to saying no took 9 days.
The last acreage debacle spanned a couple months.
Plus I didn’t get swept up in the excitement about living on an acreage or continued on with the process by default.
Sometimes it’s nice to see how far we’ve come.
Handling situations now aren’t the same as before.
Learnings internalized become normal and fly under the radar until something happens to make us take another look.
Without blips along the way, progress may be harder to see.
What I do know – there is another acreage out there somewhere I’ll be excited to re-arrange my week for.
This one was not it.
Onwards until then.
I also learned I’m not putting life on hold until that other acreage appears.
feel free to share
chief nudging officer
Crazy for cats and potatoes, Lorraine's insatiable curiosity of Life leads her to question, explore and push beyond the box. A self-professed "left-brained creative big picture" type, she has an intuitive knack for seeing beyond and beneath first appearances while at the same time nerding out on the details. Most of all she sees and holds others in their highest until they can see it for themselves.